map of north Wimbledon area 1890
Wimbledon map 1890

The Haydons Road North area was mainly fields towards the end of the 19th century: Gap Road, Haydons Road (marked on the map as Heydon Road), Plough Lane and the eastern end of Haydon Park Road were more or less the total extent of our neighbourhood (aka Hayden’s Park Estate) back in those days.

Note there was no sign of Cromwell Road, and just the beginnings of Ashcombe Road as the continuation of Trinity Road over/across the railway line.

Wimbledon and Haydon Park Estate map
Wimbledon and Heydon Park Estate map

The area was then developed by Land Securities who quickly went into liquidation and the administrator arranged an auction of the Estate.

Cromwell Road, Haydon Park Road, Haydons Road plans
Cromwell Road, Haydon Park Road, Haydons Road plans

Plots for sale are clearly marked, with No 6 Cromwell Road still standing at that point (since demolished and replaced with parking for the Rosewall Court development).

Do you have any information about the history of our neighbourhood? Do feel free to share! See ‘contact us’ section for details.

Advertisements